Everyone's got one... So here's mine!!!

Vol II: The Mis-Adventure Continues
Funny stories, witty encounters and serious reflections from Malaysia as experienced by a vegetarian struggling to understand the world.

Visit my new home at
www.adriantai.com
for more comprehensive updates.


Sunday, November 04, 2007

10 sen incident


I wonder...

If anyone is following the keris-wielding fashion this time around?! Tsk, tsk... this is the guy who claims militancy is not his style and that others perceive his style as 'lembik'. Maybe 'lembik' in other sense, gua...?!


I was having breakfast this morning when I saw a guy drop a 10 sen coin after getting his change from the chicken rice seller. The guy paused for just 2 - 3 seconds to scan the floor before walking away (I guess he could not find the 10 sen). I could see he couldn't really be bothered about the 10 sen.

I remember back when I was still a kid, finding 10 sen on the ground is like striking the lottery. All the coins would go into my piggy bank which my mum and I would open, count and take to the bank every few months. 10 sen back then could buy me 3 sweets or even a bubble gum. But many years later, 10 sen seems like nothing to many. I don't think you can even buy a stick of cigarette with 10 sen.

Has the 10 sen devalued so much over the past 20 years? If so, what then with the 5 sen and 1 sen. Just to side track a bit... At one time, there were talks to stop circulation of 1 sen since the process of making 1 sen actually costs more than 1 sen. After some discussion, it was decided that 1 sen will still continue to be circulated.

Going back to this 10 sen thing... The thing is... How much is 10 sen to Malaysians these day? How much is 10 sen to you? Heck, the price of fried beehoon went up by about 20 sen per plate since 1st November (this is another thing that puzzles me... There is an increase of 15 sen per kilogram of rice flour but how come my plate of beehoon that definitely weights less than 1 kg goes up by 20 sen?!). And during the last petrol price revision, 1 litre of petrol went up by 30 sen. I don't think I've heard of the price of something going up by 10 sen, or even 5 sen for that matter.

Me? I still look for my 5 sen when I drop it... Money is still money.

Labels:




Please leave your comments. There are 2 comment(s).

On 11/09/2007 09:43:00 PM Blogger Phenom said:
I recall once walking near Daya, and finding a $10 note. I was with another friend. Found the note outside the toto shop. Guess what I did. I passed the money to the toto booth and asked them to return it to whoever came looking for it!! Hahaha... my friend was soo astonished... he said "u realise that no one is going to come looking for that $10 rite..and the aunty is probably going to keep it?" Well, I guess you can say I was naive then... probably still am now...haha
On 11/10/2007 05:40:00 PM Blogger adriantai said:
errr... dun think the word is 'naive' leh... hahaha...

ya, those are the innocent days, my bro...

next time u find money, can keep for me? :)
Click here to return to Main Page.


Visit Malaysia 2007



||::RELATED ARTICLES::||
Visting Malaysia
Port Dickson

||::INFORMATIVE SITES::||
www.tourism.gov.my
www.marimari.com
www.cuti.com.my

My Sites

My Chatbox

Please DO NOT feed trolls.
Trolls may end up getting upset stomach and cr4p all over.
Thank you.

Last 10 Posts

Post by Labels

Archived Posts

The Red Book

Friends

TheFreeDictionary.com #1

Hangman

My Hangouts

My sponsors

Interesting blogs

My Visitors

About me

A vegetarian who like to share what little he knows with anyone interested to listen. A husband to a very wonderful and lovely girl. A son who loves his parents but does not know how to express it correctly. An elder brother trying to make up for the mis-steps in the past. A colleague everyone just loves to smack on the head.

An Inconvenient Truth



YTL's Climate Change Week
6th - 9th Mar 2007

TheFreeDictionary.com #2

Word of the Day

Misc Buttons

Add to Technorati Favorites Varb For Me







Powered by Blogger