Everyone's got one... So here's mine!!!

Vol II: The Mis-Adventure Continues
Funny stories, witty encounters and serious reflections from Malaysia as experienced by a vegetarian struggling to understand the world.

Visit my new home at
www.adriantai.com
for more comprehensive updates.


Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A scary world

What has our world turned into? Every day, it is nothing but war, natural disasters, man-made eco disasters, killings, etc...

I'm sure everyone would have read about little girl Nurin. Her case reminded me of another girl, many years ago, who was similarly tortured and abused.

I'm also very sure that everyone of us would have known personally at least one female friend or relative who has been a victim of snatch theft. I won't be surprised as well if we personally know someone who's house was broken into. I know 2 classmates who's house were broken into in the past 3 months or so.

Just last week, I heard that a colleague of mine got slashed by robbers who had wanted to steal his Toyota Camry. We have all heard of it before. Someone knocks your car from behind. There's a car blocking yours. You can't drive away... Next thing you know, someone smashes your window. Then you get slashed. The slashing is to scare and shock the victim. But is it necessary?

And it is not just with cars. I've also heard of snatch thieves who will knock their victims on the head with bottles or stones before grabbing the handbags.

So the big question is... How safe are we these days? We call ourselves 'developed'. But it seems like we've taken a few steps backwards instead.

We are supposed to feel safe in our own homes. But how safe is it these days? We'd definitely label a Malaysian as CRAZY if he or she does not grill up their house or even a condo unit that is on the 18th floor! That is how safe we are...

For me, it has reached a point where I really don't mind we we have the army patrolling our streets. I believe there is a shortage of policemen in the country. If so, why can't we use the army? I would rather see a few soldiers on the corner of every street. No, it won't make me feel like there's a war going on. I think looking at how things are, I would feel much safer.

Labels:




Please leave your comments. There are 6 comment(s).

On 9/26/2007 06:16:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
It is true that our country lacked police patrolling on our streets.

Increasing the numbers of police might help but what we want are not those sitting in the office!
On 9/27/2007 05:20:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
The numbers of crime increased in Malaysia really scare me off from returning to M'sia for holidays. I have been reading The Star website daily, almost everyday a bug crime will stand in the news. What actually happen to M'sia? Children can't play safely on the street by their own.

I think Europe still the best country to stay. I love my place now after settle in for almost 6 years. I have no fence surround my house, no house alarm fix, and I still live a safe and comfort environment.
On 9/27/2007 10:29:00 PM Blogger adriantai said:
*sigh*

sad but true. somehow, it just don't feel that safe in Malaysia anymore. But I heard recently that in US, the crime rate is quite high too. Serious crimes (murder, rape, kidnap) occur at the rate of 1 case every 20mins or so... According to what I heard, its 'normal' in developed and modern countries...
On 9/28/2007 04:44:00 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
It's true that US is no longer a safe country to stay, especially in big cities. My mum which stays in Florida, came to Europe to visit me last month. She was suprise to see how safe, clean and beautiful in Nederlands. Of course in Amsterdam also a lot of crimes happen daily, but not in small city.

After years of living abroad, I like here more than M'sia. Education here is good compare to M'sia system.
On 10/02/2007 01:28:00 PM Blogger anttyk said:
No matter how bad the situation is here, Malaysia is still our home. While it's true that crime is increasing, our country is still much safer compared to our neighbours, Thailand and Indonesia. Crime is present in every country, and it is up to us to be vigilant and take measures to prevent bad things from happening to our loved ones.
On 10/02/2007 08:26:00 PM Blogger adriantai said:
anttyk, I understand...

Malaysia is our home. Which is why I feel for it. I want my home to be a safe place. Compared to 20 years ago, things are so much different now.

But how 'viligant' is 'normal'? I have female friends who get scared the second they hear motorbike. I get paranoid each time I see someone walking behind my house (backlane) after my house was broken into 2 years ago (around this time of year).

My classmate just told me that his house was broken into about 2 months ago. It happened while they were asleep upstairs. Can you imagine what would have happened if the robbers decided to check upstairs? Or if he had gone downstairs for a drink?

We hear and read of so many cases where robbers slash the victims for no apparent reason - maybe its a scare tactic.

Heck, even VIPs are not spared. Just in the last few months, there were several 'high profile' robberies where the victims were VIPs (politicians, etc).

Someone once joked that statistics in Johor shows every female has been a victim of snatch thieves at least once in their life!

This is the point I'm trying to raise... How safe is our country (or the world, for that matter)?

I definitely support the idea of reviving Rukun Tetangga, which our PM recently mentioned.
Click here to return to Main Page.


Visit Malaysia 2007



||::RELATED ARTICLES::||
Visting Malaysia
Port Dickson

||::INFORMATIVE SITES::||
www.tourism.gov.my
www.marimari.com
www.cuti.com.my

My Sites

My Chatbox

Please DO NOT feed trolls.
Trolls may end up getting upset stomach and cr4p all over.
Thank you.

Last 10 Posts

Post by Labels

Archived Posts

The Red Book

Friends

TheFreeDictionary.com #1

Hangman

My Hangouts

My sponsors

Interesting blogs

My Visitors

About me

A vegetarian who like to share what little he knows with anyone interested to listen. A husband to a very wonderful and lovely girl. A son who loves his parents but does not know how to express it correctly. An elder brother trying to make up for the mis-steps in the past. A colleague everyone just loves to smack on the head.

An Inconvenient Truth



YTL's Climate Change Week
6th - 9th Mar 2007

TheFreeDictionary.com #2

Word of the Day

Misc Buttons

Add to Technorati Favorites Varb For Me







Powered by Blogger