Everyone's got one... So here's mine!!!

Vol II: The Mis-Adventure Continues
Funny stories, witty encounters and serious reflections from Malaysia as experienced by a vegetarian struggling to understand the world.

Visit my new home at
www.adriantai.com
for more comprehensive updates.


Thursday, February 08, 2007

Let's describe the whole world!

A friend shared a very interesting website with me recently.

It is called Wikimapia. As the FAQ explains:
"WikiMapia is a Web 2.0 project to describe the whole planet Earth. It was created by Alexandre Koriakine and Evgeniy Saveliev, inspired by Google maps and Wikipedia."

Based on Google Earth and Wiki concept, Wikimapia allows basically anyone to describe our planet. I personally think Wikimapia a great idea. Having used Google Earth before, I think this is the next step forward as we are able to share our labels (or description of our planet) with others. So I quickly checked out Malaysia...

Oh yes... Malaysia is very much bigger than Singapore. We just don't like to brag about it.
To my visitors from Singapore... Just kidding la, ya? :)

It seems there are many people who are already helping to describe this portion of our planet Earth called Malaysia.

I decided to check out what is available for Kuala Lumpur.

There are already lots of entries for Kuala Lumpur. At this zoom level, Wikimapia limits the entries to only the 100 biggest. If you want to see even more, you would need to zoom further.

Then I thought... Why not check out some places closer to my home?

Love shack?! Con workshops?

Like Wikipedia, I guess Wikimapia is also prone to vandalism and other not-so-useful information... Or maybe it's just us Malaysians?!

Anyway, someone should share this entry with US President George Bush...

Wikimapia can be found at http://www.wikimapia.org. Enjoy!

Labels:




Please leave your comments. There are 5 comment(s).

On 2/08/2007 05:05:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
lol, it is really a shame that others dunno about your blog!!! I enjoy reading most of the entries. Please keep up although receive no comments, OK?

:)
On 2/08/2007 06:11:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
weird i cldnt spot First World Hotel @ Genting Highlands... It should be visible even from outer space... hahaha

- singaporean
On 2/09/2007 03:33:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
I hope to describe my home!
On 2/09/2007 06:21:00 PM Blogger adriantai said:
hello again vicky! :)

hmmmm... i dunno if that is also a slap to my face (referring to statement 'others dunno about my blog')... hahahaha... but i think its ok la. i got my few regular visitors (ok, even 3 visitors is considered a few). i also visit yours... ;)

fida, i think coz the Google Earth maps are not really updated. but from what i hear, if you use the paid service, the maps are real time! can't confirm coz i have not personally used it. also, some parts of the map is a few years old! somewhere near ss5, there used to be a roundabout that was turned into traffic lights about 1+ year ago. the map still shows a roundabout (with comments saying its a traffic light now).

taiko... i think you are allowed to do that, but FAQ mentioned you should describe it sensibly... not just say "I live here". :)
On 2/12/2007 01:56:00 PM Blogger Dean Arif said:
Hahahaha! This is a funny post - good one!

Eh, where's Adrian's and XF's love shack?
Click here to return to Main Page.


Visit Malaysia 2007



||::RELATED ARTICLES::||
Visting Malaysia
Port Dickson

||::INFORMATIVE SITES::||
www.tourism.gov.my
www.marimari.com
www.cuti.com.my

My Sites

My Chatbox

Please DO NOT feed trolls.
Trolls may end up getting upset stomach and cr4p all over.
Thank you.

Last 10 Posts

Post by Labels

Archived Posts

The Red Book

Friends

TheFreeDictionary.com #1

Hangman

My Hangouts

My sponsors

Interesting blogs

My Visitors

About me

A vegetarian who like to share what little he knows with anyone interested to listen. A husband to a very wonderful and lovely girl. A son who loves his parents but does not know how to express it correctly. An elder brother trying to make up for the mis-steps in the past. A colleague everyone just loves to smack on the head.

An Inconvenient Truth



YTL's Climate Change Week
6th - 9th Mar 2007

TheFreeDictionary.com #2

Word of the Day

Misc Buttons

Add to Technorati Favorites Varb For Me







Powered by Blogger