Everyone's got one... So here's mine!!!

Vol II: The Mis-Adventure Continues
Funny stories, witty encounters and serious reflections from Malaysia as experienced by a vegetarian struggling to understand the world.

Visit my new home at
www.adriantai.com
for more comprehensive updates.


Thursday, October 26, 2006

A turn into memory highway

The long Deepavali and Raya weekend was a good time for me to catch up with a few friends from Singapore and also to continue cleaning up my room.

Since the new bedroom set will only come early November (second delay which I am glad), I still had ample time to s-l-o-w-l-y go through my stuffs. It is always nice to look back at stuffs from long, long time ago. So from Memory Avenue, we move onto Memory Highway. And one of the stuffs I found happens to be the grand-daddy to Pokemon and Magic: The Gathering card games.

Some of you might recall having played these cards long, long time ago. I still have mine. In mint condition! Think these are too macho? What about...

"Hello. Is son of Dr. Dose in the house? May I have the son of Dr. Dose? Thank you"

Before card games became complicated, expensive but highly collectible (with re-sale value), all we had were these rm1 card games (55 sen, if you bought them from outside Selangor - I got mine in Penang). You do NOT need to customise the deck. Just deal one deck equally among the players.

Next out of my treasure chest were cards again. This time, they are the 20 sen cards that honestly, I don't really know what they are for. Anyone?


For me, I used to play these with a few guys. We would wager cards, put them on a stack and then using quick hand motion to generate 'wind' that will overturn the cards. You get to keep cards that you overturned. There are variations to this game. But the idea is that you keep the overturned cards. At least that's how I play it.

My wife says she used to play with these cards as well. She and her siblings used the back of the cards as your normal playing cards. But I wonder... 1 'set' is usually made up of 21 cards (three rows of seven cards. I wonder how many sets she needed or had. :)

But sometimes, I keep the sets 'intact' just to keep them in a set. One set usually consist of pictures from a movie or cartoon. Any of the movie scenes and cartoons look familiar? Hmmm... I see... Automan. Thundercats. M.A.S.K. Conan. A-Team. V (the TV series about mice-eating aliens). Transformers. Star Trek. Rambo.

Besides cards, I also found some really interesting books.

One of Ian Livingstone's gamebook together with a book from the "Be An Interplanetary Spy" series

These are what I call grand-daddys to Computer Role Playing Games (CRPG). Back in those days, Role Playing Games (RPG) were quite hard to find. Even if you managed to get the books, starting a campaign may not be easy. So these gamebooks were simply heaven-sent!

The more complicated ones required the roll of dice. The simpler ones just resorted to optical illusions and puzzle solving. There were even a few of these adventure books based on The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew mysteries (anyone remember them?).

As we become more advanced and computers become more affordable, these books, unfortunately, have become 'extinct'. I don't think I can find these books in bookshops anymore. So sad... Then again, who wants to read these black & white books when they can have everything 'told' in full motion and coloured animation?

Oh well... It's back to cleaning my room again. I still have lots of things to clear and this weekend seems like it's going to be another weekend where I travel back in time...

I wonder how much all these are worth on eBay?

Labels: ,




Please leave your comments. There are 8 comment(s).

On 11/01/2006 09:10:00 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
hahaha hahaha! i had the same playing cards! :D use to trade tanks and what not with my brother heehee... so nice to see a pic of it again. i think my bro probably still has them, hidden somewhere... and yes, i still have my hardy boys and nancy drew... hmmm...time to spring clean i suppose!

by the way, atai ~~ i tink we more interested to see couple pic laaaa yoooooo~
On 11/01/2006 12:35:00 PM Blogger adriantai said:
wah... u also into tanks?!? hmmm... what else your bro got la. maybe can lelong together in eBay.

couple pix. that one have to wait till later la. later la... will sure put up a few, but they will mainly be at my main site - www.adriantai.com.

blogspot will remain more of 'my' site.
On 11/05/2006 05:08:00 AM Blogger juliamoh said:
u gonna sell? :(

i miss old maid, snap and happy family. the rm1 cards look familiar but dun thk i played a lot.

i know the cartoons! but i've always thought thundercats were boring cos my bro loves them and refused to let me watch MY kind of cartoons. :P
On 11/06/2006 10:55:00 PM Blogger adriantai said:
hahaha... nar, i will be keeping them.

your kind of cartoons? dun tell me jem, my lil pony and friends, smurf, etc...
On 11/06/2006 11:18:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Adrian,

Don't you dare sell those card! I can't believe you still have them, esp. the cars, warship and planes!

Why not we play this on the night before your wedding ceremony? I don't mind staying up playing...

Wah... memory overload...
On 11/07/2006 09:08:00 AM Blogger adriantai said:
i also have those chinese 'war game'. the one with admiral, corporal, hand grenades, etc... and your mission is to capture enemy flag.

did you play that back in secondary school? i know i did. and i still have that set. :)
On 12/14/2007 03:26:00 PM Blogger User said:
Surprise + glad to see that someone else who having the same collection as mine.

Will you pass all there toys for your children as their toys? :)
On 8/26/2008 06:31:00 PM Blogger irvincheah said:
Adrian,
I wanna play the cards :)
When got gathering please bring it out !!
Click here to return to Main Page.


Visit Malaysia 2007



||::RELATED ARTICLES::||
Visting Malaysia
Port Dickson

||::INFORMATIVE SITES::||
www.tourism.gov.my
www.marimari.com
www.cuti.com.my

My Sites

My Chatbox

Please DO NOT feed trolls.
Trolls may end up getting upset stomach and cr4p all over.
Thank you.

Last 10 Posts

Post by Labels

Archived Posts

The Red Book

Friends

TheFreeDictionary.com #1

Hangman

My Hangouts

My sponsors

Interesting blogs

My Visitors

About me

A vegetarian who like to share what little he knows with anyone interested to listen. A husband to a very wonderful and lovely girl. A son who loves his parents but does not know how to express it correctly. An elder brother trying to make up for the mis-steps in the past. A colleague everyone just loves to smack on the head.

An Inconvenient Truth



YTL's Climate Change Week
6th - 9th Mar 2007

TheFreeDictionary.com #2

Word of the Day

Misc Buttons

Add to Technorati Favorites Varb For Me







Powered by Blogger