Everyone's got one... So here's mine!!!

Vol II: The Mis-Adventure Continues
Funny stories, witty encounters and serious reflections from Malaysia as experienced by a vegetarian struggling to understand the world.

Visit my new home at
www.adriantai.com
for more comprehensive updates.


Sunday, March 04, 2007

My ATM experience

Mrs Tai (that is what I call my wife) asked me to help her do some banking on Saturday morning since she had to be in school (she is not the student, in case you need to know).

She handed me her ATM card and a piece of paper with instructions (yes, that's how bad my memory can be). Very simple task, really - withdraw money and deposit into 2 different accounts.

How difficult can that be, right? It can be so difficult, actually when you're confronted with this screen:

Sh1t, which one is withdraw money la...?!?

We forgot Maybank actually remembers your preferred language and Mrs Tai's preferred language is chinese. And I can't read or write in Chinese! So how? Press Cancel and wait for her lor...

Cr4p! Actually, it can be a good point because if it is a snatch thief trying to withdraw money, the fella may not even know how to withdraw money. Bad point... When it is a genuine case like mine. I am so helpless... Shy only...

Labels:




Please leave your comments. There are 13 comment(s).

On 3/05/2007 11:47:00 AM Blogger Jose said:
Wow, that would totally suck, I would have hated to be in your situation too. I hope you cleared it out ok.
On 3/05/2007 01:35:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
You gave me a very good idea on this: crime prevention.

LOL!

I'm thinking of changing my everything to Chinese like my handphone so that when somebody picked up my phone, they can't operate it. But that assumption is only valid for non-Chinese literates.
On 3/05/2007 01:53:00 PM Blogger Dean Arif said:
LOL.... Good one! I better start learning more character so that I could change my ATM and phone interface in Chinese! That'll screw with the robber's mind! Hahahaha...
On 3/05/2007 06:11:00 PM Blogger adriantai said:
if the thieves are pros, then chances are, they probably would have memorised by 'location'... meaning top right button, 2nd button from top left, then finally top right button so something like that.

anyway, to conclude the story, i ended up taking my wife to the atm that night so she could do the transactions... :)
On 3/05/2007 10:25:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
nia...what if the snatch thiefs or robbers are chinese???

by the way, do u have any communication when u were dating your wife? Or she is also well Eng literate? Just curious.

I wanted to know can Eng-ed and Chinese ed gel well.
On 3/05/2007 11:49:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
I have a bad experience with ATM few years ago when I started to live in The Netherlands. There were 2 ATMs at this bank, one ATM support English and the other only in Dutch. I didn't realize about it, and I withdraw money from the ATM with Dutch language. I did the transactions (only agak - agak, that time still haven't pick up dutch language), and I waited for my cash. After half minute waited, the money still not out, and I thought maybe is not successful. I went off to another ATM.

That nite, my hubby checked online and found that I have double withdrawal on the same day.

We made a report with the bank the next day. The officer in charge apologized. Both ATMs should be standardized.
On 3/06/2007 09:08:00 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Vicky:
my gege also chinese ed. And I MalayEd/EngEd. Anyhow, i think atai can understand some canton? If not, he sure is a well bred banana than myself!
On 3/06/2007 01:36:00 PM Blogger adriantai said:
seut leng, wah... not bad. u ever found out what you did...? i mean, was the money supposed to come out, etc since it stated a double withdrawal?

vicky, if they are they chinese, then it would be interesting. i believe most cases are committed by illegal migrants.

dating my then gf, yes, of coz sure got communication la. but sometimes it is better that way (different education background) coz we have a mutual understanding that since language can be a problem, we agree not to be offended so easily by what the other party says... just assume the fella having problem expressing properly.

just fyi... i can understand cantonese and speak very basic mandarin.
On 3/06/2007 08:16:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
The sentence ' your transactions is on progress.....' was in dutch. So.... after waited for half minute, I walked off and proceed to another ATM. The money came out but I guessed the person after me took the money. My hubby was wondering how come within 3 mins I have 2 transaction with same amount. Earlier transaction was successful.
On 3/08/2007 09:56:00 PM Blogger Phenom said:
hahahhaa....I dunno you man.. dam paiseh..hhahahaa.. guess la...just click click...whats the worst thing that could happen? hehehehe
On 3/08/2007 10:50:00 PM Blogger adriantai said:
worst thing that could happen?

i can think of a few things:
1. card gets eaten up
2. see seut leng's comment. :)

eh... u talk like you know how to read la... :P
On 3/26/2007 03:28:00 PM Blogger Michelle said:
err.. came across ur blog in tonixe's page.. hahah.. can't help to laugh out loud bout this post. hehehhe.. u banana?? me too.. hehe
On 3/26/2007 06:56:00 PM Blogger adriantai said:
tonixe... i wonder how is he...

ya... i m a banana... :(
Click here to return to Main Page.


Visit Malaysia 2007



||::RELATED ARTICLES::||
Visting Malaysia
Port Dickson

||::INFORMATIVE SITES::||
www.tourism.gov.my
www.marimari.com
www.cuti.com.my

My Sites

My Chatbox

Please DO NOT feed trolls.
Trolls may end up getting upset stomach and cr4p all over.
Thank you.

Last 10 Posts

Post by Labels

Archived Posts

The Red Book

Friends

TheFreeDictionary.com #1

Hangman

My Hangouts

My sponsors

Interesting blogs

My Visitors

About me

A vegetarian who like to share what little he knows with anyone interested to listen. A husband to a very wonderful and lovely girl. A son who loves his parents but does not know how to express it correctly. An elder brother trying to make up for the mis-steps in the past. A colleague everyone just loves to smack on the head.

An Inconvenient Truth



YTL's Climate Change Week
6th - 9th Mar 2007

TheFreeDictionary.com #2

Word of the Day

Misc Buttons

Add to Technorati Favorites Varb For Me







Powered by Blogger